Monday, August 15, 2011

Simplicity.



For my first post I thought I'd keep it simple. Afterall, my design philosophy is based off of simplicty. My sunroom was one of the first rooms I styled upon moving into my 1930's 2 story clapboard farmhouse 10 years ago. 365 days a year the sun comes streaming through the grand windows that envelope the room. I can't help but feel good when I step in to my sunroom. Since moving in, I have restyled this space at least six times, but one thing remains the same, it remains a very simple space of beauty.
There is less than $300 total in this space and it is one of the favorite rooms in my home. The walls were painted a pale yellow which serves as a perfect palette for the sun to bounce off of each morning. I found the vintage sofa at a local auction (only $5, but you should see the original fabric). I had it slipcovered in a basic duck cloth...perfection! The little round side table was found at a rummage sale for $1 and I painted it in my favorite creamy white paint. The single frame simply displayed on the table is my son's first self portrait carefully crafted in kindergarten 8 years ago. The bottom shelf houses my collection of sand I've gathered from beaches around the world all kept safely in vintage medicine bottles I've scooped up through online auctions.
Just last month I walked into an IKEA outlet store and I knew immediately the cowhide rug was perfect for this space. A great juxtaposition to the soft neutrals in the room. My favorite part of the room are my random beach hats hung casually on the wall, the splash of red on the beach board and the very simple wicker basket serving as a table for my morning coffee.
If you have a room needing attention, don't overthink it. Let it evolve over time. As you shop, look at an item for what it is, it's beauty, color and shape. If it feels good to you, buy it. I promise it will work in your space because it represents what feels good to you...

...and remember, keep it simple, keep it beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment